| Results click to enlarge
- University of Arkansas - Bachelor of Science and Business Administration
- University of Missouri at Kansas City - D.D.S. Degree and a Certificate in Periodontal
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Member
- Active American Academy of Periodontology
- Fellow with the American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- Diplomat of the International Congress of Implantology
- Past assistant professor in the Department of Graduate Periodontics at the University of Oklahoma
- Past Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Arkansas Medical Center, Department of Plastic Surgery
- Editorial Board of Implant Dentistry Journal
- Past Chairman of the Dental Advisory Committee of the American Red Cross Tissue Services Dental Division
- Dr. Callan is on the advisory board for many dental health care companies
- Standing faculty member for the Implant Team Seminars located at the University of Texas in San Antonio
- Author of many publications
- Private practice, which is limited to periodontics with an emphasis on tissue regeneration and implant dentistry, is located in Little Rock, Arkansas
- Implant Coeditor of Dental Surgical Products
- Recipient of the Ralph V. McKinney, Jr. award for 2001 from the International Congress of Oral Implantologists
Provided educational lectures for doctors worldwide (USA, Canada, Mexico, South America, Russia, Japan, and Europe).
Guest lecturer at UCLA, University of Iowa, University of Missouri Kansas City, University of Tennessee, University of Texas, New York University, University of Washington, Louisiana State University, University of Alabama, University of Arkansas Medical Sciences, University of Oregon, University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, and almost every state association within the United States.
- American Dental Association 1975 - Present
- American Academy of Periodontology 1976 - Present
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology 1978 - Present
- Southwestern Society of Periodontics 1978 - Present
- Arkansas State Dental Association 1978 - Present
- Central District Dental Society 1978 - Present
- Pulaski County Dental Society 1978 - Present
- Garland County Dental Society 1978 - Present
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry 1983 - Present
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists 1991 - Present
- The American College of Oral Implantology 1991 - Present
- The American Society of Osseointegration 1991 - Present
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 1998 - Present
- Dr. Callan was one of the first investigators utilizing bovine OsteoGraf/N distributed by CeraMed Corporation bone for the implantation within the jawbones of humans for reconstruction due to either cancer or diseased patients for guided bone regeneration.
- Dr. Callan is also one of three investigators to utilize an artificial protein for the stimulation of bone growth within the upper and lower jaws of patients.
- Dr. Callan was the first researcher of AlloDerm by grafting material for oral use, which is the most utilized soft tissue allograft material today. He pioneered the use of AlloDerm in dental surgery and is recognized as the world's foremost clinical expert with the material.
- Dr. Callan is one of the pioneers in the development of fascia lata, distributed by LifeNet Tissue Bank, used as a membrane barrier material for guided bone regeneration.
- Dr. Callan is one of the pioneers in the use of flex and bone putty grafton ostotech distributed by the American Red Cross for guided bone regeneration in preparation to support dental implants or to enhance the cosmetics of dental procedures.
Since 1991, Dr. Callan's office is and has been involved in teaching other surgical dentists bone grafting procedures and the proper technique of placing dental implants featuring the PerioSeal Implant System.
At his learning center, surgical techniques for success are emphasized including proper suturing (Ethicon Suture) and the proper use of materials. The placement of bone grafting material, membrane barriers, soft tissue grafts, and dental implants, involves more than just a technique. Proper instrumentation must be available (Salvin Dental Specialities) for the surgical dentist. Dr. Callan will review the instrumentation for each procedure in the learning center courses.
Maintenance of any patient's mouth is dependent upon personal (Sonicare) and professional care and utilizing the most advanced products on the market.
- Callan, DP. Use of Human Freeze Dried Demineralized Bone Prior to Implantation, Part I, Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 2:14-18, May 1990.
- Callan, DP. Use of Human Freeze Dried Skin Allograft Material in Dental Implant Treatment, Part II, Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 2:43-46, July 1990.
- Callan, DP. Creating an Environment for Implant Success: Hard & Soft Tissue Regeneration, Steri-Oss Surgical Manual, 1990.
- Callan, DP. Dental Hygienist and Dental Implants Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 3:21-25, May 1991.
- Callan, DP and Strong, SM. Immediate Aesthetic Provisionalization for the Dental Implant Patient, Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 3:17-21, October 1991.
- Callan, DP. Guided Tissue Regeneration Without a 2nd Surgical Procedure, International Journal Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry, 13(2): 173-179, 1993.
- Callan, DP and Rohrer, MD. Bone Regeneration Utilizing Natural Hydroxylapatite In Humans-Clinical and Histological Evaluations, Journal of Periodontology, 64: 575-582, 1993.
- Callan, DP, Rosenlicht, JL, and Smiler, DG. HA-Coated Implants: Design and Coating Considerations That Promote Predictability. Osstium (STP), July 1992.
- Callan, DP and Rohrer, MD. Clinical and Histological Evaluation of Xenograft Bone Regeneration in Humans. ASO International Conference September 1992 - Poster.
- Callan, DP. A Technique for Regenerating Bone in Residual Defects at Implant Sites, Utilizing an Osteotropic Material. Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 5(2): 35-42, 1993.
- Strong, SM and Callan, DP. Esthetic Restoration of the Resorbed Maxilla, A Multidisciplinary Approach, Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 5(8): 45-52, 1993.
- Callan, DP and Callan NS. Dental Implant Hygiene: The Front Line of Implant Care. Practical Hygiene, 2(3):29-33, 1993.
- Callan, DP and Strong, SM. Maxillary Esthetics in Implant Dentistry: A Team Approach Utilizing Regenerative Procedures. OSSTIUM, (STP) 8:(2) 4-7, 1993.
- Callan, DP. Hard Tissue Regeneration for Implant Success, Journal Dental Sym, 1:54-57, 1993.
- Callan, DP, Hahn, J. and Tenhulzen, DR. The Role of Tomography in Implant Planning and Treatment, OSSTIUM, (STP), IX: 4-7, 1993.
- Callan, DP and Strong, SM. Creating The Environment for Implant Success: An Interdisciplinary Approach Journal Dental Sym, 3:48-51, 1995
- Callan, DP. Handling Narrow Ridges for Insertion of Root-form Implants: Multiple-Tooth Edentulism. Dental Implantology Update, Vol. 6: (10) 73-77, 1995.
- Callan, DP. Use of Acellular Dermal Matrix Allograft Material in Dental Implant Treatment: Dental Surgery Products, Sept. 14-17, 1996.
- Silverstein, LH and Callan, DP. AlloDerm - An Acellular Dermal Matrix Allograft Substitute for Palatal Donor Tissue. Postgraduate Dentistry, 3(4) 3-13; 1996.
- Callan, DP. Dental Implants and Coronal Bone Loss. An Evaluation of 350 Implants/202 Patients - Dentistry Today, 1997.
- McGhee, MA, Stern, SJ, Callan, DP, Shewmake, K and Smith T. Osseointegrated Implants in the Head and Neck Cancer Patient. J Head and Neck, 19(8):659-665, 1997.
- Silverstein, LH, Callan DP, and Kurtzman, D. Using Cross-Sectional Tomography To Perform Exploratory Radiography In Lieu of Exploratory Surgery. Dentistry Today, Pages 94-99, Dec. 1997.
- Silverstein, LH, Garg, A, Callan, D and Shatz, P. Key to Success: Maintaining The Long-Term Health of Implants. Dentistry Today. Pages 104-111, Feb. 1998.
- Callan DP. Histological Evaluation of Acellular Dermal Tissue Matrix in Guided Bone Regeneration/Soft Tissue Grafting. J Perio, Vol 69(2)285, 1998 (Abstract).
- Yukna, RA, Callan, DP, Krauser, JD and Mayer, ET. Synthetic Cell-Binding Peptide Plus Natural Hydroxyapatite in Human Periodontal Defects. J Perio, Vol 69(21)302, 1998 (Abstract).
- Yukna, RA, Callan, DP, Krauser, JD, Evans, GH, Aichelmann-Reid, Moore, K, Cruz, R and Scott, JB. Multi-Center Clinical Evaluation of Combination Anorganic Bovine-Derived Hydroxyapatite Matrix (ABM)/Cell Binding Peptide (P-15) as a Bone Replacement Graft Material in Human Periodontal Osseous Defects. 6-Month Results. J Perio, 69; 655-663, 1998.
- Callan DP, Silverstein LH. Use of Acellular Dermal Matrix for Increasing Keratinized Tissue Around Teeth and Implants. Practical Periodontics and Aesthetic Dentistry, 10(6):731-734, 1998.
- Callan DP, O’Mahony, A and Cobb, CM. Loss of Crestal Bone Around Dental Implants: A Retrospective Study. Implant Dent, 7:258-266, 1998.
- Silverstein, LH, Gornstein, RA and Callan, DP. The Similarities Between An Acellular Dermal Allograft and a Palatal Graft for Tissue Augmentation: A Clinical Case 1999; Dentistry Today, 18(3):76-79.
- Silverstein, LH, Gornstein, RA, Callan, DP and Singh, Baldev. Similarities Between an Acellular Dermal Allograft and a Palatal Graft, for Tissue Augmentation: Clinical Report. Periodontal Insights, 1999; 6:3-6.
- Callan, DP. Cosmetic Correction of the Amalgam Tattoo Utilizing a Freeze-dried Dermal Graft. AACD-J 1999; 15(1):65-71.
- Callan, DP. Guided Bone Regeneration for the Enhancement of Cosmetic Dentistry. AACD-J Summer 1999; Vol 15(2): 32-40.
- Callan, DP. The Periodontic Syllabus Text. 4th ed., Chapter 20 (pp 185-200) Dental Implants. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins Publishing Co., 1999.
- Callan, DP, Salkeld SL and Scarborough N. Histologic Analysis of Implant Sites After Grafting with Demineralized Bone Matrix Putty and Sheets. Implant Dent 2000; 9:36-44.
- Callan, DP. Regenerating the Ridge: Performance of the Grafton Allograft. Dental Implantology Update 2000; 11(2) 9-14.
- Callan, DP. Maintaining Cosmetics and Marginal Bone with a Dental Implant. Implant Dent 2000; 9:154-161.
- Yukna, RA, Krauser, JT, Callan, DP, Evans, GH, Cruz, R and Martin, M. Multi-Center Clinical Comparison of combination Anorganic Bovine-Derived Hydroxyapatite Matrix (ABM)/Cell Binding Peptide (P-15) and ABM in Human Periodontal Osseous Defects. 6-Month Results. Journal of Periodontology 2000; Vol. 71:1671-1679.
- Callan, DP, Hahn, J, Hebel, K, Kwong-Hing, A, Smiler, D, Vassos, DM, Wohrle, P and Zosky, J. Retrospective Multicenter Study of an Anodized, Tapered, Diminishing Thread Implant: Success Rate at Exposure. Implant Dentistry 2000, Vol. 9:329-336.
- Callan, DP. Dental Implants, The Art and Science, Chapter 6A (pp 107-123) Surgical Technique. W. B. Saunders Company, 2001.
- Callan, DP. Dental Implants, The Art and Science, Chapter 6B (pp 125-131)
- Surgical Technique. W. B. Saunders Company, 2001.
- Strong, SM, and Callan, DP. Combining Maxillary Bar Overdenture Attachment Systems: A Case Report. Implant Dent 2001; Vol. 20 (1):78-84.
- Callan, DP and Selders, RJ. Dental Implants for Quality of Life. Health & Living; 13, 19; 2001.
- Yukna, RA, Krauser, JT, Callan, DP, Evans, GH, Cruz, R and Martin M. Thirty-six Month Follow-up of 25 Patients Treated With Combination Anorganic Bovine-Derived Hydroxyapatite Matrix (ABM)/Cell-Binding Peptide (P-15) Bone Replacement Grafts in Human Infrabony Defects. Clinical Findings. J Periodontol 2002; 73:123-128.
- Callan, DP. Cosmetic Implant Dentistry. Dental Economics. P40-43. May 2002.
- Callan, DP. Implant Perspectives. Implant Dentistry 2002, Vol. 11:109-113.
- Callan, DP. Eliminating Microgaps: The PerioSealÔ Implant System. Dental Implantology Update 2002. Vol.13 (11): 81-86.
- Callan, DP. Current Concepts in Selecting Dental Implant Diameter Size.
- Dental Implantology Update Vol. 15: (3) 17-23, 2004.
- Callan, DP, Cobb, CM and Williams KB. DNA Probe Identification of Bacteria Colonizing Internal Surfaces of the Implant-Abutment Interface: A Preliminary Study; J Periodontol, Jan. 2005.
- Cobb, CM and Callan, DP. Flash Point in Periodontics: Patient Referral, Triage Journal, Sept. 2005, Vol. 1, No. 2 (12-15).
- The Periodontic Syllabus, 5th Edition, Chapter 21, pp 213-226; 2007.
- Callan, DP. Superior Esthetics Without Micro-leakage of Bacteria and Bone Loss. Implant News & Views, May/June 2006, Vol. 8 No. 3 (6-11).
- Callan, DP. Managing Variables in Radiographic Imaging for Implant Dentistry. Dentistry Today, June 2006, Vol. 25 No. 6 (92-93).
- Callan, DP. Achieving Optimal Esthetics Results with Dental Implants. Contemporary Esthetics, October, 2006, Vol. 10 No. 10 (24-31)
- Callan, DP, Evans, R and Cobb, CM. Periodontal Disease, Bacteremia and Orthopedic Surgery, Grand Rounds, May 2007, Vol. 2 No. 2 (27-33)
- Callan, DP. Safety of Dental Implants Relative to Oral and Systemic Health, Dentistry Today, Accepted for Publication In August 2007 Issue.
- Callan, DP. Dental Implant Designs And Oral and Systemic Health (Submitted for Publication-Compendium).